From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Please don't use IUSE=static-libs unless really necessary
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2011 22:40:07
On Sunday, September 18, 2011 18:16:30 Nirbheek Chauhan wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 19, 2011 at 2:25 AM, Michał Górny wrote: > > '$(use_enable static-libs static)' themselves. While at it, it may be > > better to just drop the flag if no other package relies on it and no > > user has ever requested the static build of that package. > > I don't see any harm with including IUSE="static-libs" for every > package that has working/usable static libraries[1]. Why wait for > users to request it on bugzilla when it's a near-zero-cost and > zero-maintenance to add it to ebuilds?
i missed this sentence from Michał's e-mail. unconditionally not building static libraries is against policy. if you install shared libs that get linked against, then you must provide static libraries unconditionally as well or support IUSE=static-libs. maintainers do not get to choose "no one has asked for it and no one in the tree is using it thus my ebuild isnt going to". -mike