From: Spider <spider@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] /etc/gconf better off under /usr/share ?
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 18:02:05
1 begin quote
2 On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 23:09:41 +0900
3 Braden <gentoo@×××××××.net> wrote:
4
5 > In a nutshell: Why is the gconf directory hierarchy under /etc and not
6 >
7 > under /usr/share?
8 >
9 > /etc/gconf seems a bit out of place to me relative to the other things
10 >
11 > in /etc. For one, it is quite large comparatively. This is because
12 > the localized strings for all supported languages are stored there.
13 > This brings up the point of why locale-specific strings are being
14 > stored under /etc, and not under /usr/share. I thought /etc is for
15 > configuration files, while /usr/share is for architecture-independent
16 > read-only data files, the latter seeming to be what the gconf
17 > directory holds.
18 >
19 > The practical reason for this is that I thought the root filesystem
20 > was supposed to be pretty lean, but currently, at least on my system,
21 > /etc/gconf sticks out like a sore thumb (18M). It is far bigger than
22 > the rest of /etc (the rest being 3M).
23 >
24 > Thanks for any comments on this.
27 Actually, No.
28
29 etc/gconf has many different functions, one is to provide default
30 configurations for all Gnome /gconf enabled programs.
31
32 The others include mandatory defaults, which means that an administrator
33 can prevent somone from changing soem gconf variables, or provide system
34 hard-coded defaults that cannot be changed.
35
36 Theese are clearly configuration cases, And therefore belongs in /etc,
37 even if "size" might be an issue.
38
39 //Spider
42 begin .signature
43 This is a .signature virus! Please copy me into your .signature!
45 end