From: Marius Mauch <genone@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Defining the Tree: a proto-GLEP.
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2006 00:45:43
1 On Tue, 13 Jun 2006 00:00:43 +0100
2 Stephen Bennett <spb@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > My current idea is to draw up a formal specification of what ebuilds
5 > are allowed to do, and what to assume about the environment in which
6 > they run, as well as defining the formats of everything under
7 > profiles/, metadata.xml files, and other auxiliary information in the
8 > tree. I would envision the first version of this document to more or
9 > less codify existing practise, perhaps excluding some dubious tricks
10 > that are known to break in some cases. Generally, it should be
11 > possible to make the tree conform to the first version of the
12 > specification by changes no more significant than currently have QA
13 > bugs filed for them.
14
15 Actually for the last two weeks or so (or whenever that pkgmanager
16 compat/transition glep was brought up) I was considering creating a new
17 "espec" project for that. This is beyond the scope of a single document
18 IMO and a separate project for it would help a bit to keep it
19 independent from existing implementations.
20
21 Marius
26 In the beginning, there was nothing. And God said, 'Let there be
27 Light.' And there was still nothing, but you could see a bit better.