From: "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: ago@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] A feedback about the CI bug reporting system
Date: Sat, 07 Nov 2020 06:15:37
1 On Fri, Nov 06, 2020 at 08:21:39AM +0100, Agostino Sarubbo wrote:
2 > Hello all,
3 >
4 > 6 months have been passed after the CI system started to file bug reports.
5 > ~ 4700 bugs have been submitted
6 >
7 > We _know_ that atm is not possible to set a specific summary, instead a
8 > generic summary is used in case of compile failures and test failures.
9 > There are also some documented limitations.
10 >
11 > If there aren't much commits, usually you get the bug after 30 minutes after
12 > the commit and this looks to be nice.
13 I value the quantitative knowledge of "there is some problem", but I
14 absolutely want process improvement to tell me "there is XYZ specific
15 problem" (quantitative).
16
17 Can you please tell us what you need to let others contribute to
18 improving the quality of the reports from your CI system?
19 I will happily submit patches to help improve things that matter to me
20 (recently, I've been repeatedly bitten by packages where DEPEND needs to
21 specify a newer min version; the current min version in the tree is
22 fine, but since I have an older version installed, and the DEPEND
23 statement wasn't updated, I get a failure until I re-order the updates).
24
25 Examples:
26 - It needs $ABC added
27 - If it could use $SOMETHING, it could run on a large build farm results
28 in 2 minutes instead of 30 minutes.
29 - Compile fails on XYZ arch
30
31 No single CI system will ever continue to be successful with a growing
32 ecosystem if it's limited to a single build system. Sooner or later they
33 all need to be able to build on a farm.
36 > Since there are conflicting opinions I would like to know if you find it
37 > useful or not.
38 >
39 > More info about the project here:
40 > https://blogs.gentoo.org/ago/2020/07/04/gentoo-tinderbox/
41 >
42 > Please keep me CC'ed
43 >
44 > Thank you
45 > Agostino
51 Robin Hugh Johnson
52 Gentoo Linux: Dev, Infra Lead, Foundation Treasurer
53 E-Mail : robbat2@g.o
54 GnuPG FP : 11ACBA4F 4778E3F6 E4EDF38E B27B944E 34884E85
55 GnuPG FP : 7D0B3CEB E9B85B1F 825BCECF EE05E6F6 A48F6136