From: "Rémi Cardona" <remi@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] LICENSE and revbumps
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2008 14:44:37
1 Yuri Vasilevski a écrit :
2 > so, my point is that licences are very important in some environments
3 > and to some people, and having an inconsistently can cause serious
4 > legal problems to users. So it is very important to keep them in sync
5 > in all tree of upstream, portage tree and vdb tree.
6
7 And people who are really worried about licensing issues should not even
8 *look* at the LICENSE data which can be seriously out-of-date/wrong if
9 maintainers are not careful enough.
10
11 Furthermore, for a lot of packages, only the "major" license is
12 described in the ebuild, leaving the "minor" licenses out :
13 - main software is GPL
14 - library is LGPL
15 - images/icons are CC-SA
16 - doc/man are GFDL, ...
17
18 As for the original question: I don't think a license change warrants a
19 rebuild for end users. It's just a waste of bandwidth and CPU cycles.
20
21 Cheers :)
24 Rémi Cardona
25 LRI, INRIA