From: Peter Volkov <pva@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] omitting redirecting man pages from compression
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2010 06:08:27
1 В Вск, 19/09/2010 в 19:43 -0400, Mike Frysinger пишет:
2 > many man pages exist merely as a redirect to another man page:
3 > $ xzcat /usr/share/man/man1/zcat.1.xz
4 > .so man1/gzip.1
5 >
6 > compressing these tiny (always?) results in a larger file. that means we
7 > arent saving space, and we're adding overhead at runtime.
8
9 Isn't it better to skip compression on all tiny files (not only man
10 pages)? In such case some other functions will need to be updated too
11 (e.g. ecompress --suffix)...
14 Peter.