From: Nirbheek Chauhan <nirbheek@g.o>
To: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>, gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: proj/portage:master commit in: pym/portage/dbapi/
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2011 16:35:22
1 On Sat, Nov 26, 2011 at 9:49 PM, Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Saturday 26 November 2011 07:50:27 Nirbheek Chauhan wrote:
3 >> I'm not sure the two are really comparable. However, looking at a
4 >> simple string sort on 30,000 strings, I don't see it taking a
5 >> significant amount of time at all:
6 >
7 > sure, it's probably not significantly higher, but i also can't see any point in
8 > sorting the entries.  we've been doing fine so far in the 10+ years of it being
9 > unsorted.  so unless Arfrever has a compelling reason, time to revert.
10 > -mike
13 I agree. My argument was that if sorting has some benefit, the cost is
14 negligible, and it should be done properly. If the benefits of the
15 sorting are non-existent, or if it causes problems as Ciaran pointed
16 out, then sorting should not be done.
19 ~Nirbheek Chauhan
20
21 Gentoo GNOME+Mozilla Team