From: Joe <jjnievel@×××.edu>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org, gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [Fwd: Re: [gentoo-dev] xfree86, dri, voodoo, glide, etc.]
Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2001 00:23:39
1 -------- Original Message --------
2 Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] xfree86, dri, voodoo, glide, etc.
3 Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2001 02:17:01 -0400
4 From: Joe <jjnievel@×××.edu>
5 To: tvon@×××××.org
6 References: <3BB3C5C0.4020802@×××.edu>
7 <1058.209.244.81.118.1001641785.squirrel@×××××××××××××××××××.ch>
8
9 Tom von Schwerdtner wrote:
10 > I think a "3dfx" USE variable might be a good idea.....so X
11 > can compile properly when needed and such
12
13 yes; it doesn't seem that it would be too difficult. I'm not sure if it
14 is necessarily a Gentoo thing though. Even when i had the glide3 libs
15 installed, XF86 did not create the tdfx.so that it needed. The host.def
16 file initially has a preprocessor-ish #if block around the #define for
17 the HASGLIDE. It seems that this may have been the culprit, unless
18 emerging xfree didn't utilize the host.def at all. Anyway, it does
19 sorta seem like something is amiss, and all that should be really needed
20 (ideally) is a little blurb in the installation guide: "before you
21 install xfree, install glide if you have a glide video card" or
22 something like that. In any case, I believe this mini-howto should
23 contain sufficient information for setting everything up. As it points
24 out, however, I do have a Voodoo4, so it might be a little different.
25 Notably, you might want to look for special options when you compile
26 glide. With that I will tell you good luck, and make sure to let me
27 know how it turns out.
28
29 --joe

3dfx_mini_HOWTO.txt text/plain