From: Alistair Bush <ali_bush@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] New eclass osgi.eclass
Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2007 09:30:03
1 On behalf of Elvanor ( a in the process New Developer ) I would like to
2 present the osgi.eclass.
3
4 What is OSGi, well....
5
6 Copied directly from wikipedia [1]
7
8 "The Framework implements a complete and dynamic component model,
9 something that is missing in standalone Java/VM environments.
10 Applications or components (coming in the form of bundles for
11 deployment) can be remotely installed, started, stopped, updated and
12 uninstalled without requiring a reboot; management of Java
13 packages/classes is specified in great detail. Life cycle management is
14 done via APIs which allow for remote downloading of management policies.
15 The service registry allows bundles to detect the addition of new
16 services, or the removal of services, and adapt accordingly."
17
18 Basically and for all the purposes that you will care about, the eclass
19 adds information to a jar's Manifest file that can then be used by the
20 OSGi framework ( aka currently eclipse ). Without this functionality we
21 will not be able to use system jars for our eclipse package.
22
23 you may find an example ebuild that uses the osgi class at
24 http://overlays.gentoo.org/svn/proj/java/java-experimental/dev-java/swt/swt-3.3-r1.ebuild
25
26 and the eclass is attached and located at
27 http://overlays.gentoo.org/svn/proj/java/java-experimental/eclass/osgi.eclass
28
29 Im sure Elvanor can't wait for you constructive feedback on his eclass
30 and depending on your feedback the eclass will enter the tree this weekend.
31
32 ali_bush
35 [1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OSGi

osgi.eclass text/plain