From: Robert Cole <robert.cole@×××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] net.eth0 without an IP addy
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 23:11:36
I'm building stealth machines (logger, IDS, etc) without IP addresses and I
need a way to activate an interface without an IP address in a switched
environment.

negotiates a link and logs the mac. Anyone have an idea on how to send a
broadcast to the switch with nothing setup in /etc/conf.d/net  ?

I've been trying mii-diag without success. I'm using the 3c59x driver in
gentoo-sources. Gentoo rc3.

Before I get into modifying the net.eth0 script I would like to see if tehre
is something I'm missing here. :)

Here's a link to what I'm trying to setup:

Any help would be appreciated. When I'm complete with this I will submit it to
the gentoo security docs.

Robert