From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] News Item: OpenAFS no longer needs kernel option DEBUG_RODATA
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2016 04:55:43
1 On Sun, 24 Jul 2016 00:04:53 +0200
2 "Andreas K. Huettel" <dilfridge@g.o> wrote:
3 > 1) If a package only ever had one slot, it cannot ever have two
4 > versions installed at the same time. That guarantee (of only ever one
5 > slot) can be given for the portage tree (sic). Obviously it doesn't
6 > work for overlays, but there are many things we don't care about for
7 > overlays. [A]
8
9 Outright wrong, as has already been explained in this thread several
10 times.
11
12 > 2) If a package manager leaves two versions of a non-slotted package
13 > "installed" somehow, that package manager is fundamentally broken and
14 > its author should forever refrain from specifying anything. It's not
15 > our job to work around Paludis failure modes. [B]
16
17 This is not a Paludis issue. It happens with Portage too. The install
18 sequence is carefully designed to install the new version of the
19 package, and then remove the old one (and if you think about it for a
20 few seconds, you can see that it *has* to be this way). If an error or
21 ctrl+c occurs at the wrong point, both versions remain installed, and
22 importantly, there is a safe way to recover from this.
25 Ciaran McCreesh