From: Jon Portnoy <avenj@g.o>
To: "C. Brewer" <cbrewer@×××××××××××××.net>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] udev implementation
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 06:18:02
1 On Mon, Oct 20, 2003 at 10:56:19PM -0700, C. Brewer wrote:
2 Content-Description: signed data
3 >
4 > Forgive me if I've gone delusional.. I was just under the impression that udev
5 > was going to do everything that devfsd does now _and_ add name mapping, and
6 > apparently I was wrong. I'm just planning for the future since seeing the
7 > udev changes going into our init system.. we got no choice about the devfs
8 > and I feel it's going the same way for udev. I'm not trying to slight the
9 > obviously hard work that was put into it, but what about choice? to devfs or
10 > not to devfs? to udev or not to udev? Or is it merely choice with package
11 > selection, and not with the overall package that is Gentoo?
14 You can go without devfs easily.
15
16 You do, however, need to boot with gentoo=nodevfs to tell the init
17 system you don't want devfs.
18
19 The choice is there.
22 Jon Portnoy