From: Grant Goodyear <g2boojum@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Cc: swift@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] My first ebuild: GNU Hello
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 20:40:47
1 On Thu, 2003-11-20 at 15:23, Aron Griffis wrote:
2 > Spider wrote: [Wed Nov 19 2003, 11:48:20AM EST]
3 > > Don't emake and econf both fail if they fail, making || die ""
4 > > unnecessary and even impossible?
5 >
6 > It's really poor practice to depend on this. I argued against this
7 > change and was ignored. Here are some reasons:
8 >
9 > - Calling die from econf/emake defeats the function and line number
10 > reporting that are part of die.
11 >
12 > - Developers have to keep track of which ebuild.sh functions call
13 > die and which ones don't. It's really better to leave the error
14 > handling in the ebuild in all cases so that the practice is simply
15 > to call die in all situations where it is appropriate.
16
17 I agree. I asked seemant if we could make that official policy:
18 15:37 <@seemant> g2boojum: I agree 200% with that
19 15:37 <@seemant> the die *should* be in ebuilds
20
21 If nobody complains too loudly, can we get this policy into the docs?
22
23 -g2boojum-
24 --
25 Grant Goodyear <g2boojum@g.o>