From: Spider <spider@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] USE flags
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 15:59:29
1 begin quote
2 On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 14:20:40 +0200
3 Christian Birchinger <joker@g.o> wrote:
4
5 > Hi
6 > Maybe more features would be needed "nodoc" "noman" "noinfo". I
7 > guess many people never open an info page (mostly because the
8 > info command sucks and they don't know about pinfo).
9
10 Yelp is good here, but you're right that it should probably be
11 separated.
15 > I think with the nodoc flag it would never "merge" the docs.
16 > It sure wont install them first then rm -rf them again. It
17 > would simply not move them from >
18 > /var/tmp/portage.../image/usr/doc/appfoo-6.6.6 into the running
19 > system(Mabye exclude them from unpacking when using tbz2 packages).
20
21 Well, the reason I suggest making it a FEATURE instead of anything else
22 is because that way we can include the whole package of man
23 pages and documentation in built binary packages, but simply prevent it
24 from entering the "final" system afterwards.
25
26 This would probably just mean a few lines to check the feature, and if
27 it exists, scan usr/share/doc and remove all files that want to install
28 there...
29
30 > I'm not the programmer of it but i guess the mainquestion is how to
31 > configure it. Like a FEATURE="nodoc noinfo" or with it's own variable
32 > like DOCS="man -info -doc" or whatever.
33
34 I'd say just a FEATURE, because it'd be cleaner configurationwise that
35 way. No need in splitting it up in a case like this.
38 //Spider
41 begin .signature
42 This is a .signature virus! Please copy me into your .signature!
44 end