From: Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] masking and removing *coin packages
Date: Fri, 08 Jul 2016 13:18:32
1 On Fri, 8 Jul 2016 08:10:07 -0500 james wrote:
2 > On 07/08/2016 05:17 AM, Andrew Savchenko wrote:
3 > > On Thu, 7 Jul 2016 20:30:36 -0400 Anthony G. Basile wrote:
4 > >> Hi everyone,
5 > >>
6 > >> I emailed the list some time ago about giving away a bunch of bitcoin
7 > >> forks to see if anyone was interested in taking them. I didn't get any
8 > >> feedback so as of tomorrow I'll be masking the following for removal in
9 > >> 30 days.
10 > >
11 > > Any reason for mask and removal? Are these packages broken?
12 > > Just drop them to maintainer-needed.
13 > >
14 > > Best regards,
15 > > Andrew Savchenko
18 > Perhaps we should start posting these orphaned-package announcements to
19 > gentoo-user, so folks interested in learning about ebuilds can ponder
20 > proxy-maintenance of a few packages as an opportunity?
23 > Surely there is a wider audience that will see some packages they like
24 > are going away because there are not enough maintainers, and thus
25 > respond by 'stepping up' to maintain a few packages?
26
27 The idea sounds reasonable, but it doesn't answer why we have a
28 highly alarming tendency of purging working packages from the tree
29 just because they have no maintainer.
30
31 Best regards,
32 Andrew Savchenko