From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: libpng-1.5 smooth upgrade
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2011 23:25:10
1 Matt Turner posted on Fri, 11 Feb 2011 20:39:04 +0000 as excerpted:
2
3 > I'm a little unclear about -lpng vs -lpng15. ssuominen tells me on IRC
4 > that probably 90% of packages linking with libpng will fail with 1.5.
5 > These 90% will link with -lpng until a version that supports 1.5 is
6 > released? The remaining 10% will go ahead and link with -lpng15? What
7 > happens when 1.6 is released and breaks compatibility again?
8
9 That last is my first thought as well.
10
11 If we go ahead and patch a whole bunch of stuff to -lpng15, we're locking
12 ourselves in to screwing with them for 1.6 and beyond, as well. It seems
13 to me that if we're going to patch, patch the real problem, so -lpng
14 continues to work, and then we'll only be forced to fix what breaks with
15 1.6 when it comes out, not everything we broke by locking it to 1.5
16 specifically, as well.
17
18 But I'm not the one doing the patching, so...
23 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman