From: Roy Marples <uberlord@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] baselayout-2 stablisation plans
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2007 19:42:19
1 On Sat, 2007-07-21 at 15:28 -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote:
2 > i really think this bash vs POSIX issue is getting way more emphasis than it
3 > should. i'd make the claim the majority of people out there dont even know
4 > about /bin/sh, bash, dash, and friends, so most people out there will
5 > have /bin/sh pointing to bash and as such, none of these things will be an
6 > issue for them. anyone who has tried to switch /bin/sh to point to something
7 > else has already seen their system blow up. or they're using baselayout-2
8 > and so they're aware of the issues.
9 >
10 > in other words, you want to put info in there about POSIX shell and changing
11 > your conf.d files, great ... but dont emphasize it like it's doomsday and all
12 > hell's gonna break loose when you upgrade.
13
14 True enough, but now I've said it I'll sleep better tonight knowing that
15 I've at least warned some people who think wow - baselayout-2 supports
16 *faster* shells like busybox. I'll rock with my -fomg-optimized flags.
17 IE ricers who then bitch that their box is broke if they downgrade.
18
19 Thanks
20
21 Roy