From: "Jesus Rivero (Neurogeek)" <neurogeek@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] python.eclass EAPI 4 support, this gets really annoying
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2011 12:49:06
1 On Fri, Oct 14, 2011 at 9:54 PM, Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o> wrote:
2 > On 10/14/2011 09:11 PM, "Paweł Hajdan, Jr." wrote:
3 >> On 10/14/11 5:38 PM, Alec Warner wrote:
4 >>> I believe op's point is that there is no one to escalate the problem
5 >>> to; certainly the council members are not going to do the work
6 >>> themselves and we already have our best people on it.
7 >>
8 >> I'm aware of that. My point is that I think there are many scenarios in
9 >> which EAPI-4 + python.eclass can work, especially if it's used only for
10 >> few things in cases like www-client/chromium
11 >>
12 >> Because the python team takes _ages_ to do the transition that is
13 >> holding back many other packages, because they've made python.eclass
14 >> overly complex and now try to make it perfect,
15 >>
16 >> I'd just like to get an "OK" to enable EAPI-4 for that eclass.
17 >>
18 >> Please note that it's still up to dependent packages which EAPI they
19 >> use. If they break python.eclass with EAPI-4 they shouldn't update to
20 >> that EAPI. However, if there are packages using python.eclass that could
21 >> work fine with EAPI-4, it shouldn't be blocking them for *ages*
24 > That would be an ok approach from my perspective: We could just change
25 > line 14 of python.eclass and let package maintainers report breakage as
26 > they increment EAPI. I am confident that nothing EAPI <= 3 would break.
27 >
28 > Is anyone (especially djc and the python herd members) opposed to this?
32 Sorry I wasn't able to post before. But...
33 This can be done and in fact has been discussed before, just allow
34 ebuild to not die with EAPI=4, but this doesn do anything at all, just
35 not die on EAPI=4. All the features and the good stuff just won't be
36 there as other use cases need (as Robin and Tony mentioned).
37
38 We've been working on a redesign of the eclass but is nothing like
39 stealing candy from a kid, there are many things involved, such as the
40 large amount of Python ABIs that people use regularly, distutils
41 quirks, current eclass complexity, among others that make it quite
42 challenging to come up with something new.
43
44 I'm all up for making eclass accept EAPI=4 ebuilds, but to fully
45 implement EAPI=4 fesatures, I'm going to have to ask you guys for a
46 bit of more patience. I know you have done just that, being patient,
47 but just a bit more. I know we can deliver a solution for this soon
48 enough.
49
50 Best regards,
53 Jesus Rivero (Neurogeek)