From: Marius Mauch <genone@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: making USE_EXPANDed variables incremental
Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2007 20:20:55
1 On Mon, 1 Jan 2007 21:12:47 +0000
2 Stephen Bennett <spb@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > Following a discussion in #gentoo-portage earlier this evening, it was
5 > suggested that I send out an RFC email for this. So, does anyone
6 > object to requiring that any variable listed in USE_EXPAND be treated
7 > as incremental, at least as far as profile inheritance is concerned?
8
9 The main problem I see is that if it's becoming a real incremental
10 (across all config layers) it would change behavior for users as they'd
11 need to prefix their use-expanded vars with -* to retain their current
12 config. But I guess that's why you added that final clause about
13 profile scope.
14
15 Marius
16 --