From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: weigelt@×××××.de, robbat2@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: locations of binaries and separate /usr
Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2012 18:25:24
1 On Fri, 6 Jan 2012 18:50:49 +0100
2 Enrico Weigelt <weigelt@×××××.de> wrote:
3
4 > I don't want to repeat all the arguments, why these Windows-imitator
5 > guys are completely wrong, anymore. (IMHO already been said in this
6 > thread).
7
8 Yes, having a single locations for all applications is so-windows. We
9 should go the other way then, and create a separate prefix for every
10 application. I wonder why we removed that awesome /usr/X11R6.
11
12 > If upstream really wants to stick in that silly chance, it's time for
13 > a fork. We're already allocating about 20..30hrs per week beginning
14 > with 2012/2 for such a project in our resource plan. This stupidity
15 > can become really dangerous thousands of systems around the world,
16 > so it needs to be stopped.
17
18 Wow, an enterprise fork taking 20-30 hrs per week to reimplement hacks
19 necessary for running applications randomly spread over filesystems?
20
21 > BTW: the original argument (AFAIK) is that moving everything to
22 > /usr should somehow make maintenance easier. Well, how actually ?
23 > Perhaps for people who are too lazy to backup a few more directories ?
24 > Silly.
25
26 Enjoy sharing those few more directories over NFS. Ah, yes, only silly
27 people want to share their systems over NFS. Enterprise admins reserve
28 20-30 hrs per week to keep systems in sync.
29
30 > Actually, at this point, I'd raise the question why not dropping
31 > /usr instead (in little steps). The impact is practically the
32 > same (well, replaces the risk of unbootable system by the risk
33 > of filling up separated / filesystems) but would remove an
34 > then obsolete additional directory. ;-O
35
36 That's because people would like to get rid of additional directories
37 in /, not introduce additional ones. But if you really want to, we can
38 start making random packages install on rootfs. Just let us know when
39 they happily fill up your rootfs.
42 Best regards,
43 Michał Górny