From: hasufell <hasufell@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] About using USE flags to pull in needed RDEPENDs being discouraged by devmanual
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2012 16:13:18
It breaks the useflag philosophy, IMO.

Useflags were meant as switches. You can turn things on and off. Pulling
in optional dependencies via useflags does not allow the user to turn
something off when he sets USE="-foo" emerge fuqbar.
That should only be valid for virtuals or meta-packages. And that's what
those are for.

It's not that important if there is a linkage IMO (like the devmanual
says), cause that may not apply to all languages/usecases, but it MUST
change what gets installed.

> 1. We rely in people reading the message to get package working ok.
Yes, we should rely on that.
> 2. If user emerges ppp, it will be recorded in world file and, then, if > in the future he removes bluez, emerge --depclean want clean no longer > needed ppp and then, people end up with a lot of packages they needed > to manually emerge some year but that they problem no longer need at all.
It's not our job to maintain users world files.