From: Krzysztof Pawlik <nelchael@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] FYI: Rules for distro-friendly packages
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2010 19:22:19
On 06/26/10 19:51, Enrico Weigelt wrote:
> * Krzysztof Pawlik <nelchael@g.o> schrieb: > >> Take a look at this page: >> http://overlays.gentoo.org/proj/java/wiki/How_to_be_a_good_upstream - it is Java >> specific mostly, but some general points can be reused :) > > Hmm, this document suggests something, I just forgot to prohibit: > > "Release the source archives along with whatever binary archives you may have." > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
You intend to "prohibit" releasing binary packages for upstream? Thats... something you don't see everyday. Why would you do that? It's quite common for Java projects to release pre-built JAR files or for C/C++ (or other) based projects to release debs or rpms - it's standard practice. What's important in quoted sentence is: "Release the source archives along with binary archives" - the "with" is very important - in short: don't release only binary versions and force us to grab them from VCS. -- Krzysztof Pawlik <nelchael at gentoo.org> key id: 0xF6A80E46 desktop-misc, java, apache, ppc, vim, kernel, python...