From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Forced/automatic USE flag constraints (codename: ENFORCED_USE)
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2017 16:23:28
1 On Thu, 15 Jun 2017 18:19:04 +0200
2 Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o> wrote:
3 > On Thu, 15 Jun 2017 17:13:57 +0100
4 > Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com> wrote:
5 > > On Thu, 15 Jun 2017 18:07:00 +0200
6 > > Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o> wrote:
7 > > > > The best way to convince me is through valid examples.
8 > > >
9 > > > It is also easier to be convinced when you try to understand and
10 > > > ask for clarifications instead of just rejecting without
11 > > > thinking :)
12 > >
13 > > The problem with this entire proposal is that it's still in "well I
14 > > can't think of how it could possibly go wrong" territory. We need a
15 > > formal proof that it's sound. History has shown that if something
16 > > can be abused by Gentoo developers, it will be abused...
17 >
18 > Had you read the thread you would have noticed that I provided an
19 > algorithm giving sufficient conditions for the solver to work. That
20 > is, if developers pay attention to repoman warnings/errors, it will
21 > never fail. Obviously, since we're still in the SAT space, you can
22 > ignore the errors and make it fail, but it'll never be worse than what
23 > we currently have.
24
25 You have shown that you produce a solution, not the solution that's
26 actually wanted.
29 Ciaran McCreesh