Gentoo Archives: gentoo-dev

From: Florian Philipp <lists@×××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: UEFI secure boot and Gentoo
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2012 12:57:01
Message-Id: 4FDB30D7.6010702@binarywings.net
In Reply to: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: UEFI secure boot and Gentoo by Walter Dnes
Am 15.06.2012 14:28, schrieb Walter Dnes:
> On Fri, Jun 15, 2012 at 09:54:12AM +0200, Florian Philipp wrote > >> I guess anti-trust is not an issue since MS is not even close to having >> a monopoly in ARM. > > Will you be able to get an ARM machine without their UEFI? If MS > ever gets huge in the ARM arena, and 95% of ARM cpus go into Windows > machines, how many companies will make cpus for the remaining 5%. > Remember how MS strongarmed OEMs into a "Windows tax"? >
When MS gets a strong hold in ARM, they will have to face the same antitrust measures they face on x86 and their policy will likely have to change. I don't say its a nice outlook. The whole antitrust system is reactive and takes years to have any effect. But until then (if it ever happens)? Support other big players in ARM, don't buy Nokia/Windows phones, hope for the best. The usual ... Regards, Florian Philipp

Attachments

File name MIME type
signature.asc application/pgp-signature

Replies

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: UEFI secure boot and Gentoo Steev Klimaszewski <steev@g.o>