From: Greg KH <gregkh@g.o>
To: Richard Yao <ryao@×××××××××××××.edu>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, Greg KH <gregkh@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Let's redesign the entire filesystem!
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2012 22:49:59
1 On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 06:39:05PM -0400, Richard Yao wrote:
2 > Is this that page?
3 >
4 > http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/UsrMove
5 >
6 > That refers to the systemd website on freedesktop.org.
7 >
8 > http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/TheCaseForTheUsrMerge
9
10 Yes.
11
12 > With that said, I have a few questions:
13 >
14 > 1. Why does no one mention the enterprise use case at all?
15
16 It has been pointed out before, why constantly repeat ourselves.
17
18 > 2. Why not make rootfs a NFS mount with a unionfs at the SAN/NAS device?
19
20 unionfs is still a "work in progress", some systems can't do that yet.
21
22 > 3. Why not let the users choose where these directories go and support
23 > both locations?
24
25 Because a plethera of options is a sure way to make sure that half of
26 them don't work over the long run.
27
28 We aren't Debian here people, we don't support "everything" :)
29
30 If you want to support both, great, feel free to step up and do the
31 work.
32
33 greg k-h