From: Greg KH <gregkh@g.o>
To: Richard Yao <ryao@×××××××××××××.edu>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, Greg KH <gregkh@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Let's redesign the entire filesystem!
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2012 22:49:59
On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 06:39:05PM -0400, Richard Yao wrote:
> Is this that page? > > http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/UsrMove > > That refers to the systemd website on freedesktop.org. > > http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/TheCaseForTheUsrMerge
Yes.
> With that said, I have a few questions: > > 1. Why does no one mention the enterprise use case at all?
It has been pointed out before, why constantly repeat ourselves.
> 2. Why not make rootfs a NFS mount with a unionfs at the SAN/NAS device?
unionfs is still a "work in progress", some systems can't do that yet.
> 3. Why not let the users choose where these directories go and support > both locations?
Because a plethera of options is a sure way to make sure that half of them don't work over the long run. We aren't Debian here people, we don't support "everything" :) If you want to support both, great, feel free to step up and do the work. greg k-h