From: Thomas Flavel <thomasfl@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] rc4
Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2001 11:03:31
1 Hi,
2
3 Glad to see there's finally a mailing list, now I can bug everyone and
4 not just Daniel personally... ;)
5
6 > Can we please have pcmcia support in the default kernel? It's a real
7 > pain having to install off the CD and then build a new kernel, put it
8 > on floppy and then move to that to the machine in question. It'll be
9 > a bigger pain if that laptop ends up being my only working machine. 8(
10
11 Hmm, I recall asking if rc3 could have gcc and the kernel source
12 available from the boot cd - I see the kernel source code is in the
13 packages directory, but I think there may have been a
14 mis-communication... I actually meant that gcc be executable from
15 boot.img so that a kernel can be compiled directly from the boot cd
16 (onto ramfs presumably, unless you mount anything else) without having
17 to install anything to a hard disk - I for one would find this very
18 useful, and I'm surprised I haven't seen any other distros do this.
19 Comments please
20
21 - Tom