From: "Andreas K. Huettel" <dilfridge@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] EAPI usage in main tree
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2011 19:29:32
1 On Tuesday 25 January 2011 20:13:40 Thomas Sachau wrote:
2 >
3 > The (maybe inofficial) suggestion is already to use the latest EAPI in new ebuilds. This is ok for
4 > me, as long as it is a suggestion. The same goes for the migration of ebuilds to the latest EAPI.
5 > But i am against the idea to enforce this for either new or even existing ebuilds. I prefer to do
6 > other work than useless EAPI-migration without a real need/benefit for me or the users.
9 This is fine as long as you do pure standalone work. As soon as you use a single eclass, you basically require the eclass maintainers to provide support for each and every EAPI - and that's an important point here.
10
11 AFAIK the kde team will soon require EAPI (>)= 3 for all ebuilds using kde4-* eclasses. Similar restrictions already exist in other cases _in order to ease maintainability_. Why not go all the way and clean the mess out?
14 Andreas K. Huettel
15 Gentoo Linux developer - kde, sci, arm, tex
16 dilfridge@g.o
17 http://www.akhuettel.de/