From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: yngwin@g.o
Cc: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>, qa@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: useflag policies
Date: Sun, 02 Aug 2015 17:54:35
1 >>>>> On Mon, 3 Aug 2015, Ben de Groot wrote:
2
3 > Recently some team members of the Qt project have adopted these
4 > ebuild policies: https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Qt/Policies
5
6 > I have an issue with the policy adopted under "Requires one of two
7 > Qt versions". In my opinion, in the case where a package offers a
8 > choice between qt4 or qt5, we should express this in explicit
9 > useflags and a REQUIRED_USE="^^ ( qt4 qt5 )". This offers the user
10 > the clearest choice.
11
12 > Other developers state that users are not interested in such
13 > implementation details, or that forced choice through REQUIRED_USE
14 > is too much of a hassle. This results in current ebuilds such as
15 > quassel to not make it clear that qt4 is an option.
16
17 The general policy is outlined here:
18 https://devmanual.gentoo.org/general-concepts/use-flags/index.html#conflicting-use-flags
19
20 # Note: In order to avoid forcing users to micro-manage flags too
21 # much, REQUIRED_USE should be used sparingly. Follow the normal
22 # policy whenever it is possible to do a build that will presumably
23 # suit the user's needs.
24
25 So I think the Qt team's policy (i.e. *no* REQUIRED_USE, prefer qt5 in
26 case of conflicting flags) is perfectly fine.
27
28 > This goes against the principle of least surprise, as well as
29 > against QA recommendations. I would like to hear specifically from
30 > QA about how we should proceed, but comments from the wider
31 > developer community are also welcome.
32
33 Maybe output an ewarn message if both qt[45] flags are set, and
34 therefore the qt5 default is taken?
35
36 Ulrich