From: Aaron Held <aaron@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] [gentoo-dev]
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 14:51:30
1 Hi all,
2 I just read the IBM DW article about gentoo and I am impressed by the goals of this project. My first unix on x86 was FreeBSD
3 way back when and I remeber the days when I could only get BSDI/ FreeBSD drivers for the sync cards. Now its the opposite. I miss
4 walking up to any FreeBSD box and finding the right /etc/ files the first try.
5
6 I've been working with "Internet Appliances" and in contrast to thier simplified admin push I feel that the Linux/Redhat SysV
7 init is getting very complicated. I just downloaded e-smith (www.e-smith.com) which address this problem with some internesting
8 perl scripts that massage the /etc/ files based on user input from a webpage / console and a series of templates. I though this was
9 a good solution at first, but I guess a better solution would be to simplify the init first!
10
11 So basically can someone give me a brief overview as to what you guys mean by "Simplified SysV-style initialization scripts"?
12
13 Also where can I find out more about "Portage"? Can I rsync the source tree and make world? What is meant by merging the package
14 and why do I have to unmerge afterwards? Should I just install it and read the man pages?
15
16 Is Java running on rc3?
17
18 I have a PII/400 with an AMI RAID card setup as a testing machine. I was going to use it for e-smith, but I'd like to try this
19 first. Are there any RAID issues on install?
22 Thanks,
23 -Aaron Held
27 As Isaac Newton would say now:
28 If I see further than others, it is because I stand on
29 the shoulders of giants too dumb to patent their discoveries.
30 (Gregory Palast, http://www.observer.co.uk/ )