From: Thomas Deutschmann <whissi@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Pushing to distfiles?
Date: Sun, 15 Nov 2020 02:13:25
1 On 2020-11-14 23:12, James Le Cuirot wrote:
2 > I'm not claiming this has never actually happened but I use these
3 > GitHub tarballs*a lot* and I don't recall ever seeing it. Does anyone
4 > know for sure that it's happened in, say, the last 3 years? It's a lot
5 > of extra work for a problem that may no longer exist or is so rare that
6 > it's just not worth the effort.
7
8 I am aware of three incidents:
9
10 In 2011 but I cannot find details at the moment.
11
12 In 2013, a bugfix in git
13 (https://github.com/git/git/commit/22f0dcd9634a818a0c83f23ea1a48f2d620c0546)
14 caused such a change.
15
16 In second half of 2017, GitHub was rolling out a GZIP update across
17 their fleet which caused such a change. It mostly hit rarely downloaded
18 packages which were cleaned from CDN so tarball had to be re-generated.
19
20 You can use GitHub Actions for example to automate this or include it in
21 existing release workflows. But yes, you have to get upstream's
22 attention to implement this.
23
24 And it's not just GitHub, don't forget about GitLab and those
25 self-hosted GitLab instances which often don't support to upload
26 arbitrary assets...
30 Regards,
31 Thomas Deutschmann / Gentoo Linux Developer
32 C4DD 695F A713 8F24 2AA1 5638 5849 7EE5 1D5D 74A5