From: Teo <icemaze@××××××××××.it>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] speeding up emerge sync...and being nice to the mirrors
Date: Thu, 15 May 2003 16:16:42
On Thursday 15 May 2003 17:32, rob holland wrote:
> No you wouldn't...rsync would copy just the differences....thats the whole > point of rsync :/
Sorry, didn't knew that ^_^' Anyway, I don't think that the performance gain would justify the greater complexity. In fact, the performance you gain when rsyncing a user this way, is lost when an ebuild is submit (the FS must be mounted, the ebuild added/modified/deleted and the FS unmounted, all this without being able to accept users' requests). I think that there is not an easy way to get sync operations quicker. Maybe with the use of some sort of database. Instead, it would be nice to have a list of the packages available. The ebuilds could be fetched only on merge/update. "emerge sync" would upgrade only the list, and "emerge world -u" would send the world file to the server which would reply with up-to-date ebuilds. Would this be feasible? -- icemaze@××××××××××.it -- gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list