From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] -Werror unwanted?
Date: Tue, 15 May 2012 16:38:36
On Tuesday 15 May 2012 07:29:36 Tony "Chainsaw" Vroon wrote:
> On 14/05/12 16:44, hasufell wrote: > > However, I don't see references to ebuild policy (in devmanual or > > howtos) how to handle Werror. > > As can be judged by the title of my patches on the subject, I consider > -Werror to be short-sighted at best and idiotic at worst. The next GCC > version, which will add *loads* of warnings to anything that compiled > cleanly before, is going to kill you.
to clarify, having -Werror in upstream packages and getting enabled by default when doing development is not short-sighted or idiotic at all, but in fact makes a lot of sense for a lot of setups. shipping it enabled by default in a release could be considered those things though. a good compromise is what toolchain (and a few other) packages do: provide a configure flag like --disable-werror. -mike