From: Angelo Arrifano <miknix@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Adding AdobeFlash-10{,.1} licenses to EULA group
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2010 13:59:04
1 On 18-06-2010 12:16, Alec Warner wrote:
2 > On Fri, Jun 18, 2010 at 2:08 AM, Lars Wendler <polynomial-c@g.o> wrote:
3 >> Am Freitag 18 Juni 2010, 03:42:29 schrieb Brian Harring:
4 >>> On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 05:14:16PM -0500, Dale wrote:
5 >>>> Lars Wendler wrote:
6 >>>>> Am Mittwoch 16 Juni 2010, 14:45:21 schrieb Angelo Arrifano:
7 >>>>>> On 16-06-2010 14:40, Jim Ramsay wrote:
8 >>>>>>> Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn<chithanh@g.o> wrote:
9 >>>>>>>> One notable section is 7.6 in which Adobe reserves the right to
10 >>>>>>>> download and install additional Content Protection software on the
11 >>>>>>>> user's PC.
12 >>>>>>>
13 >>>>>>> Not like anyone will actually *read* the license before adding it to
14 >>>>>>> their accept group, but if they did this would indeed be an important
15 >>>>>>> thing of which users should be aware.
16 >>>>>>
17 >>>>>> I defend it is our job to warn users about this kind of details. To me
18 >>>>>> it sounds that a einfo at post-build phase would do the job, what do
19 >>>>>> you guys think?
20 >>>>>
21 >>>>> Definitely yes! This is a very dangerous snippet in Adobe's license
22 >>>>> which should be pretty clearly pointed at to every user.
23 >>>>
24 >>>> Could that also include a alternative to adobe? If there is one.
25 >>>
26 >>> The place to advocate free alternatives (or upstreams that are
27 >>> nonsuck) isn't in einfo messages in ebuilds, it's on folks blogs or at
28 >>> best in metadata.xml... einfo should be "this is the things to watch
29 >>> for in using this/setting it up" not "these guys are evil, use one of
30 >>> the free alternatives!".
31
32 Why? You are running a free and opensource operating system, what's
33 wrong suggesting *other* free and opensource alternatives? You are just
34 providing the user a choice, not to actually oblige him to install anything.
35
36 Also, I'm pretty sure seeing nvidia-drivers suggesting the use of the
37 kernel driver when using the hardened profile.
38 >>
39 >> Maybe I expressed myself a bit misinterpretative. I don't want to request an
40 >> elog message telling users about alternative packages. But in my opinion an
41 >> elog message pointing at the bald-faced parts of Adobe's license should be
42 >> added. These parts about allowing Adobe to install further content protection
43 >> software is just too dangerous in my opinion.
44 >
45 > I will ignore the technical portion where basically any binary on your
46 > system; even binaries you compiled yourself have the ability to
47 > 'install things you do not like' when run as root (and sometimes when
48 > run as a normal user as well.)
49
50 For all the years running Linux, I never found that case.
51 >
52 > The real meat here is that you want Gentoo to take some kind of stand
53 > on particular licensing terms. I don't think this is a good
54 > precedent[0] to set for our users. It presumes we will essentially
55 > read the license in its entirety and inform users of the parts that we
56 > think are 'scary.'[1] The user is the person who is installing and
57 > running the software. The user is the person who should be reading
58 > and agreeing with any licensing terms lest they find the teams
59 > unappealing. I don't find it unreasonable to implement a tool as
60 > Duncan suggested because it is not a judgement but a statement of
61 > fact. "The license for app/foo has changed from X to Y. You should
62 > review the changes accordingly by running <blah>"
63
64 I'm the person who initially proposed warning users on elog. The initial
65 proposal only states about:
66 1) A warning about change of licensing terms.
67 2) A warning that "additional Content Protection software" might be
68 installed without users consent.
69
70 In fact, portage already warns the users about bad coding practices,
71 install of executables with runtime text relocations, etc.. How is this
72 different?
73 If me, as a user, didn't know about such detail (who reads software
74 license agreements anyway?) and someday I hypothetically find a
75 executable running without my permission as my user account and I'm able
76 to associate it with Adobe's flash, I would be pissed off to no extent.
77 And guess what? First thing I would *blame* is flash maintainers.
78 I expect package maintainers to be more familiar with the packages they
79 maintain than me. As consequence, I expect them to advice me about
80 non-obvious details on those packages. At least that's what I try to do
81 on the packages I maintain.
82 GNU/Linux is all about choice. Stating, during install, that a package
83 might later install additional stuff will just provide a choice to the
84 user, not conditioning it.
85
86 Regards,
87 - Angelo
88 >
89 > [0] There is an existing precedent for reading the license and
90 > ensuring Gentoo itself is not violating the license by distributing
91 > said software. Gentoo takes measures to reduce its own liability in
92 > case a lawsuit arises; however this is a pretty narrow case.
93 > [1] The other bad part here is that 'scary' is itself a judgement call
94 > about licensing terms. I do not want to have arguments with users
95 > about which terms I should have to warn them about versus not. Users
96 > should (ideally) be reading the software licenses for software they
97 > choose to use.
98 >
99 > -A
102 >>> Grok?
103 >>>
104 >>> ~harring
105 >>
106 >> --
107 >> Lars Wendler (Polynomial-C)
108 >> Gentoo developer and bug-wrangler