From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] News Item: OpenAFS no longer needs kernel option DEBUG_RODATA
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2016 04:52:05
1 On Sun, 24 Jul 2016 00:30:39 +0300
2 Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o> wrote:
3 > Oh, nice: strictly follow PMS no matter what, right? Then let me
4 > remind you that not so long time ago I advocated for strictly
5 > following PMS [1,2], which _allows_ || ( A:= B:= ) construct [3].
6 >
7 > But I was _enforced_ by QA to _violate_ PMS and remove the valid
8 > syntax blocks [4]. This decision was made because of $reasons:
9 > - we lack ||= operator;
10 > - || ( := ) behaviour is not implemented properly in existing PM;
11 > - "it doesn't make *any* sense";
12 > - other valid and unquestionable $reasons ...
13 >
14 > So the result is that common sense and practical considerations
15 > take over PMS. And what we have in the REPLACING_VERSIONS case?
16 > It doesn't matter that such situation never happened and will
17 > likely never happen, but one must follow PMS strictly no matter
18 > what. Such attitude is not fair at least.
19
20 No. You have simply failed to understand the reason || ( A:= B:= )
21 doesn't work. It may superficially appear correct, but you either need
22 to think carefully about the implications, or just accept wisdom from
23 people who have. I remind you that PMS does not explicitly prohibit a
24 dependency upon =A-1 =A-2 where A is not slotted, either: it's a
25 nonsense dependency, but syntactically valid.
26
27 Please stop trying to use your common sense in areas where you lack the
28 intuition and experience to have accurate common sense.
29
30 > Do we ever had such case like multiple versions of the same
31 > single-slotted package installed or recorded as installed in the
32 > real world? I'm not sure even in this, but I may assume that it may
33 > happen one day.
34
35 Yes, this happens with failures on uninstalls and upgrades.
36
37 > Do we have any proof that PM can recover from such situation,
38 > where VDB is a mess and installed files can also be a mess? I'm not
39 > sure in this at all.
40
41 Yes, things have been designed quite carefully to allow this to happen.
42 You recover by installing a new version, and using it to replace the
43 two installed versions simultaneously.
44
45 > Do we have any test suits for portage (as the most popular PM
46 > implementation) for such cases? I doubt this, I can find none. I'm
47 > not sure if such tests are implemented in other PM test suits too.
48
49 Portage doesn't exactly have many tests...
52 Ciaran McCreesh