From: "Petteri Räty" <betelgeuse@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] emerge -C eselect-python disaster
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2010 09:26:34
1 On 01/25/2010 02:02 AM, Dale wrote:
2
3 > Is there something that I am missing here? For me, system should
4 > include the things needed for booting and for the package manager to
5 > work. If it can't contain python then portage has a problem. As I
6 > pointed out in another reply, portage won't let you unmerge itself but
7 > it will let you unmerge a package that will render portage useless. If
8 > I can unmerge python then portage should just go ahead and let me
9 > unmerge portage itself too. At least it is easier to repair removing
10 > portage.
11 > Dale
14 Again let's try again so maybe you understand the issues here. You can
15 see the contents of the system set like this:
16
17 emerge --nodeps -epv @system (on Portage 2.2)
18
19 It doesn't have eselect-python:
20
21 pena portage-trunk # emerge --nodeps -epv @system | grep eselect-python
22 pena portage-trunk #
23
24 You must differentiate between the @system set and what you think of as
25 "system packages". The set should for maintenance reasons reflect it's
26 true purpose. Again you can file a bug for Portage to warn about
27 removing it's deps and Portage maintainers can see if it's feasibly doable.
28
29 Another thing we should consider is writing a news item educating users
30 how to use Portage properly these days. At least ACCEPT_LICENSE and
31 --depclean need attention.
32
33 Regards,
34 Petteri