From: "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Official overlay support
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2006 19:49:16
1 On Sat, Mar 25, 2006 at 08:37:24PM +0100, Paul de Vrieze wrote:
2 > On Friday 24 March 2006 20:18, Chris Gianelloni wrote:
3 > > I really can't think of much besides kernel + toolchain that can have
4 > > such devastating effects to the rest of the tree. The only other
5 > > massive breakages would be via eclasses, which was my main target.
6 > glibc is a good candidate. And portage a second one.
7 *libc in general.
8 binutils
9 coreutils (Screwing up this is really fun, sort/xargs/tail etc.)
10
11 And a general class, the reason I've had stuff in my own overlays:
12 - Trying to develop clean/safe automated upgrade paths for complex
13 packages.
14 Early versions of these tend to do nasty things to data (openldap was
15 esp. painful).
16
17 > > Does anyone have any ideas how we could resonably reduce problems
18 > > reported from things such as toolchain breakages in an overlay, yet
19 > > still not punish the people running the overlay by disallowing it? I
20 > > surely wouldn't want to limit the toolchain maintainers from being able
21 > > to enjoy the use of an overlay if they wished it.
22 > Perhaps we could ask people who run overlays with dangerous ebuilds, to have
23 > these ebuilds protected by some environment variables. (The var must be set
24 > for the ebuild to work.)
25 Only if portage can check the variable before starting to compile any
26 packages.
29 Robin Hugh Johnson
30 E-Mail : robbat2@g.o
31 GnuPG FP : 11AC BA4F 4778 E3F6 E4ED F38E B27B 944E 3488 4E85