From: Matt Chorman <matt@×××××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] European Patentability rules
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 21:35:44
1 On Wednesday 27 August 2003 02:13 pm, Markus Nigbur wrote:
2 > On 27 Aug 2003 22:33:32 +0200
3 > Aug 27 21:34:17 * klieber happens to support software patents.
4 >
5 > --
6 > gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list
7
8 It's amazing to me that any open-source developer would agree with software
9 patents. Just on a random search of the US patent office, I found that I (and
10 probably each and every one of you) are guilty of patent infringment - daily.
11 Have you ever used a computer to initiate a remote session - ssh? vnc? X?
12 Look up patent 6,611,865. Be thankful HP hasn't started suing everyone under
13 the sun.
14
15 While you're at it, look up 6,611,268. Then look up all patents where the
16 Assignee is Microsoft or HP. Then think about the implications of the SCO
17 lawsuit and what these companies can do if the courts don't reject SCO's
18 argument. There is a major differnese between software patents and
19 copyrights. Copyright=good. Software patent=bad.
20
21 /me crawls back into his hole
22 --
23 Matt