From: Daniel Drake <dsd@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo as a development platform
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2005 23:31:49
1 Hi,
2
3 Quite often, I use Gentoo's from-source nature to my advantage when developing
4 or testing software packages.
5
6 Gentoo is fairly well oriented for this kind of environment, but it's not
7 brilliant. As an example, foo-3.2.1 (the latest version) is installed on my
8 system, but more recently, they fixed a critical bug in the upstream CVS tree
9 which I'd like to test the fix for. It's not dead simple for me to do this - I
10 want to use the CVS sources with the ebuild already in portage. I have to use
11 "ebuild foo-3.2.1.ebuild unpack" to extract the sources, then manually replace
12 them with my CVS checkout. Or checkout CVS, make a new tarball, call it
13 foo-3.2.1.tar.bz2, redigest and remerge the ebuild. Or I could create a
14 foo-cvs ebuild and go to the trouble of making it mirror the contents of
15 foo-3.2.1.ebuild exactly.
16
17 It's great that its *possible* right now thanks to portage and co, but I'm
18 interested in ways of making this easier. Before I give this more thought, I'd
19 be interested to know if anyone has already got any scripts or tips :)
20
21 Thanks,
22 Daniel
23 --