From: Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Requirements for UID/GID management
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2017 17:24:58
1 On 01/29/2017 05:03 AM, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
2 >>>>>> On Sat, 28 Jan 2017, Michael Orlitzky wrote:
3 >
4 >> [...] sys-user/echo [...]
5 >
6 > [Replying to a random message in this thread, as I have some backlog.]
7 >
8 > Users and groups aren't packages, so IMHO packages and *DEPEND
9 > variables shouldn't be abused for things like that. This has been
10 > discussed in bug 53269 previously.
11
12 Well they're not packages now because they're not packages now. If we
13 make them packages, they'll be packages. We treat them a lot like
14 packages, and by making them packages, a lot of things get simpler.
17 > IMHO the way to go is to add proper variables in the next EAPI, like
18 > the EUSERS and EGROUPS proposed (and approved) in GLEP 27.
19
20 But then we need to add features to make EUSERS and EGROUPS work exactly
21 like DEPEND and RDEPEND, which seems counter-productive. What if I need
22 a user conditionally on some USE flag? What if I need to share a user
23 with another package? How do users get removed?
24
25 I will try to coalesce all of this into a wiki page at some point.