From: Mikael Hallendal <hallski@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Proposed Issuetracker via PEST
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 12:28:11
1 ons 2001-11-28 klockan 18.11 skrev Andreas Voegele:
2 > Mikael Hallendal writes:
3 >
4 > > As said before, this is the _default_ interface too bugzilla which
5 > > we have no intention of using (at least not for endusers).
6 > ^^
7 > Has there already been a decision to use Bugzilla?
8
9 No but there has been extensive discussions about using it and those
10 discussions has been based on writing a our own nice interface too it.
11
12 > > Bugzilla is complex before it's _very_ powerful. But I agree, the
13 > > default interface is too complex [...]
14 >
15 > The problem is that web interfaces generally suck because of the poor
16 > GUI elements that HTML provides. For example, the text entry's
17 > editing features are really poor compared to the features of real text
18 > editors.
19 >
20 > How will users select a package in the Bug Tracking System if there
21 > are hundreds or even thousands of packages? Do they have to scroll
22 > through endless lists?
23
24 I'm not sure how we should categorize the packages. Currently I think
25 that bugreports should go per team (ie. if you find a bug in a package
26 that is maintained by Desktop team you report it as such a bug rather
27 than that actuall package). This fits very well into the current setup
28 we have in Gentoo.
29
30 If we have as in Debian (which I hope we never have) that one person
31 only can make changes to a package it should be reported per package.
32
33 > I prefer to write my reports with a text editor and to send the
34 > reports by electronic mail. It's much easier to add patches and
35 > ebuild scripts to electronic mail than to add them to reports sent
36 > through a web interface - at least if you're using Emacs to write your
37 > mail :]
38
39 I agree that there should be a way to report bugs through email. This is
40 afaik possible in the bugzilla used by GNOME. Also, BugBuddy is a GNOME
41 application to report bugs to bugzilla, we might be able to tweek it if
42 we decide to use Bugzilla.
43
44 > The Debian BTS uses electronic mail. And there are at least two
45 > programs, e.g. reportbug, which is written in Python, that end-users
46 > can use to send bug reports.
47
48 I agree with Joshua that it's very important to have a nice webui to
49 look at the bugs, search among them etc.
50 We should (imho) also be able to connect the issuetracking system to IRC
51 (at least for lookups) using a bot. I don't know how easy this is with
52 Debbug or Roundup (I guess at least Debbug has something like this?)
53
54 > > This is very true while talking about endusers. When talking about
55 > > developers I think the most important thing is that it can handle
56 > > all the things we need to work effectivly.
57 >
58 > Hm, do you think that all the developers need/want the same things?
59
60 Off course not, that's why we need something that fits all (and in my
61 opinion we should be able to make Bugzilla do so). If we use something
62 that hasn't all the features we want we will have to spend time to
63 implement them (This might not be a bad idea since we will be helping
64 another project that way).
65
66 > What's wrong with the Debian BTS?
67
68 I have never used it and I think most of us haven't. This is a
69 discussion about what to use. Nothing has been decided.
70
71 Currently we seem to be in the state where we collect information about
72 which ones are available. And those I can come up with right now that's
73 been suggested are:
74
75 * Roundup
76 * Bugzilla
77 * PEST
78 * Debian BTS
79 * GNATS
80 * Improve current dev-wiki
81
82 Regards,
83 Mikael Hallendal
87 Mikael Hallendal
88 Gentoo Linux Developer, Desktop Team Leader
89 CodeFactory AB, Stockholm, Sweden