From: Stanislav Brabec <utx@g.o>
To: "leon j. breedt" <ljb@×××××××××.org>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] speeding up emerge sync...and being nice to the mirrors
Date: Thu, 15 May 2003 16:26:48
1 On Thu, May 15, 2003 at 02:50:13PM +0100, leon j. breedt wrote:
2 > hi,
3 >
4 > call me crazy, but wouldn't this be more efficient:
5 >
6 ...
7
8 Much more efficient and convenient seems to be incremental xdelta patches on
9 tarred repository.
10
11 Delta set file size should be typically nearly less than "Total transferred
12 file size" via rsync.
13
14 Once you download "official tar.gz" (you have to have identical bit image; or
15 tar set - to be more patient to machines with few memory) and later download
16 only incremetal deltas.
17
18 We could have, for example, hourly patches, six-hourly patches, daily patches,
19 weekly patches etc. - so anybody should be able to upgrade from any version to
20 latest using, say, up to 10-15 incremental delta sets.
23 There is another way, how to serve portage tree much faster as is - use
24 reiserfs (in tail mode) or tmpfs for tree.
27 This is also good way to download sources over slow lines, if you have
28 previous version.
31 For simple implementation see example "deltaserver" at:
32 http://www.penguin.cz/~utx/
33 (unusable for Gentoo, because it reconstructs byte-by-byte identical .tar, but
34 not .tar.gz or .tar.bz2, but it can be solved.)
35
36 Typical delta size for standard version update is less than 1/10 of tarball.
37
38 -- Stanislav Brabec
41 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list