From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, Pacho Ramos <pacho@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Always specify SLOT we know a package is compatible with (even if only one SLOT exists at the moment ebuild is added)
Date: Sat, 19 Sep 2015 10:14:41
1 Dnia 19 września 2015 12:08:21 CEST, Pacho Ramos <pacho@g.o> napisał(a):
2 >Hello
3 >
4 >With we trying to move to finally disable dymamic-deps and stop relying
5 >on them completely, an old problem will be a bit more noticeable now:
6 >
7 >- Tons of package RDEPEND on A
8 >- Long time after that, A starts to have a new SLOT
9 >- As most reverse deps need to be ported, we need to fix it
10 >retroactively to request the old slot that is known to work.
11 >
12 >Currently, we can see how most of us try to go as quick as possible to
13 >fix the dependencies retroactively setting the proper slot but this
14 >relies on dynamic-deps, if this feature gets disabled, we will need to
15 >make revbumps for all of them and people will need to rebuild all the
16 >reverse deps. This can be really problematic as some of this libs are
17 >used by a ton of packages... I can think on recent examples like
18 >gstreamer, gtk+, glib... for example a few days ago we needed to adapt
19 >reverse deps to the inclusion of a new gtk-sharp slot.
20
21 Note that this already doesn't work if you add slot operator as well.
24 >On the other hand, if we start always setting the available slots that
25 >we know to work, we can avoid this issue, and this is also completely
26 >future proof becase I don't think we can assume that package B will
27 >always work with the latest available SLOT package A can have in the
28 >future. Then, applying the same policy of we trying to set the versions
29 >in dependencies to the versions we know are compatible, we should do
30 >the same with the slot.
31 >
32 >Thanks a lot
35 Best regards,