From: Amiel Martin <martina3@××××××.edu>
To: "Kurt V. Hindenburg" <khindenburg@××××××××××××.net>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Multiple DISTDIR
Date: Sun, 18 May 2003 07:54:53
comments? great idea

-AMiel

On Sat, 17 May 2003, Kurt V. Hindenburg wrote:

I've patch portage.py (VERSION="2.0.47-r10") and ebuild.sh to use a
new variable in make.conf.  The new variable is DISTDIRS="directory1
directory2 etc".
The purpose of this is to allow people to have distfiles in multiple
locations (ie. cdrom, nfs, etc).

What happens:
1. Look in DISTDIR for files (as normal)
2. If not found, traverse through all directories in DISTDIRS looking
for files.
3. Set a new environment variable (DDIR) pointing to correct directory
holding the files.
4. ebuild.sh will use DDIR if set instead of DISTDIR.

Notes:
1. I couldn't really figure out what the envirnoment variables A and
AA were meant for.

2. I thought it best to avoid messing with the envirnoment variable
DISTDIR to avoid confusion/problems (hence the new DDIR).

3. How can I get the latest cvs copy of portage as I would assume
people would want a diff against that.

This will need further testing/fixing as I've only spent a few hours
on it and I'm a non-python user.

Anyone doing something like this or anyone have any comments?

 Kurt
---
  There is no good and evil; there is only power.