From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Git braindump: 2 of N: developer interaction (merge co-ordinators)
Date: Sun, 03 Jun 2012 19:08:18
1 On Sun, Jun 3, 2012 at 2:21 PM, Dirkjan Ochtman <djc@g.o> wrote:
2 > That makes a lot of sense. There are probably a bunch of
3 > projects/teams where having their own branches makes some amount of
4 > sense; but we should really try the free-for-all at first.
5
6 So, it sounds like we have a migrated tree already. Why not just plan
7 a few days where we tell everybody to just mirror their work as an
8 experiment (it would be strongly encouraged but not mandatory if for
9 some reason a few can't go along with it). So, devs would do their
10 work in cvs, and then just do the exact same commit in git and push
11 it. The rsync mirrors would of course stay with cvs (this is just a
12 test).
13
14 Perhaps we might even make it a complete free-for-all with no rules at
15 first. Then we can circle back on the list and discuss what did and
16 didn't work well. That could include rebase-vs-merge, problems with
17 concurrency, and so on.
18
19 A test of some sort would cut down the risk of the unexpected when we
20 do the real migration.
21
22 Rich