From: Charles Marcus <CMarcus@×××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: System Recovery - New Core Functionality request...
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 11:59:57
1 >> When 2004.2 rolls around we will have all of the release kernel configs
2 >> and spec files in Portage (gentoo-release-specs or something like
3 >> that). Using those, it would be *very* easy to wrap catalyst with a
4 >> sysrecover script. We would just pass Catalyst the kernel configs from
5 >> the latest release, and get some user input as to what partitions to
6 >> back up. Once we have that knowledge, we would just have to tell
7 >> catalyst to dump those partitions on the CD/ DVD.
8
9 > That is pretty cool.
10
11 >> Its very feasible, I just need the time to implement it ;)
12
13 > As I would most likely use this sometime I would be glad to help out
14 > with the project if you need it. I'm probably most useful as a coder but
15 > I'm willing to give a hand with other things if I can.
16
17 To Chris, John and Sami... that is great news! I was really hoping it
18 wouldn't be too difficult *and* someone else would see the value in this
19 capability. I had read some about Catalyst, but hadn't considered it as
20 the tool - but it sounds perfect!
21
22 I am in no big hurry, so am willing to wait, as long as I know it is
23 being worked on... also, I am *more* than happy to donate to show my
24 appreciation (I was willing to try to find someone to pay to code it up
25 myself anyway) - so, where do I send the funds? :)
26
27 Many thanks
28
29 Charles