From: Steve Long <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: [GLEP] Use EAPI-suffixed ebuilds (.ebuild-EAPI)
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2007 01:17:34
1 Bo Ørsted Andresen wrote:
2
3 > On Friday 21 December 2007 03:41:04 Luca Barbato wrote:
4 >> > * We have to wait a year before we can use it.
5 >>
6 >> We have to wait till we got a new release and I hope it isn't 12months.
7 >
8 > And then we have to wait till noone use a version of portage that sources
9 > the ebuild to get the EAPI. Unless we change the file name..
10 >
11 "We generally make sure that the tree is compatible with portage versions
12 released in the past six months, so if you don't have version released in
13 that timeframe it is possible that you won't be able to use the tree
14 anymore."[1]
15
16 What applications are so important that require this change in order to
17 work, that we have to go through the tool modifications now rather than
18 wait a few months and let the newer versions of portage deal with it,
19 without us having to make any changes at all?
20
21 After all we can use EAPI="1" already, and if the portage team want to put
22 more features in, they're at liberty to define EAPI="2" or any other.
23
24 It appears this is being rushed through: we can have some undefined new
25 features (well Paludis users can) now, if only we allow unbounded changes
26 to the filename suffix. That's not a good enough reason.
27
28 [1] http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/portage/doc/common-problems.xml
32 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list