From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] 2.6.22 stable plans
Date: Sat, 04 Aug 2007 18:34:23
1 On Saturday 04 August 2007, William L. Thomson Jr. wrote:
2 > On Fri, 2007-08-03 at 00:14 -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote:
3 > > my point though wasnt to knock ati (although it was fun), the point was
4 > > that i do not believe any closed source driver in our tree should ever be
5 > > grounds for preventing stabilization of a kernel ebuild
6 >
7 > Yes, I don't like that it's closed source either. But closed or open
8 > source. It seems odd to have packages in our stable tree that don't work
9 > with each other? Doesn't that kinda go against the point of our stable
10 > tree?
11
12 then dont stabilize the closed source packages, problem solved
13
14 > I personally don't use genkernel, but I believe those updating their
15 > systems via emerge world, and then running genkernel later against the
16 > new kernel. Will likely have it fail, and then report bugs against our
17 > stable tree.
18
19 boy thats sure a pickle when we cant do s**t about it (maybe *this* time we
20 can fix it, but that is not always the case)
21 -mike