From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Tone in Gentoo
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2010 17:59:38
On Sat, 19 Jun 2010 12:54:25 +0200
Ben de Groot <yngwin@g.o> wrote:
> This is a point that deserves more consideration. One of the top > reasons (as witnessed in forum discussions)
Unfortunately, that's selecting a rather biased audience. The success of a forum depends upon the number of active posters it has. The number of active posters it has depends upon how many people need to post there to get answers to questions, and how many wrong answers have to be given before the right answer comes up. Thus, by selecting from the forums, you're picking an audience that likes talking endlessly about communities, not one that likes to answer a question once, correctly, and then change things so the question doesn't need to be answered again.
> Does Gentoo really prefer to keep more sensitive people out instead > of effectively getting rid of repeat offenders?
All bringing more sensitive people in does is cripples the distribution's ability to delivery any technical improvements, since everyone's time is wasted worrying about the whiners. And let's face it, the sort of people who moan about that kind of thing are going to find a reason to moan no matter what.
> Think about it. What kind of people would you rather have in Gentoo?
Personally, I'd like to see Gentoo start having the kinds of people who deliver a better product, not the kinds of people who worry that using a gender-ambiguous cow as a logo might be offensive. -- Ciaran McCreesh