From: Matt Rickard <frogger@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] i hate KEYWORDS=-*
Date: Tue, 05 Aug 2003 00:13:29
1 Sorry for the belated reply, but it seems we still haven't done anything
2 about this -- and it frustrated me enough today that I decided to revive
3 this thread :)
4
5 > so i guess people are using KEYWORDS=-* because they dont want ppl
6 > easily emerging a package that will break them ... specifically the
7 > latest gcc/glibc ebuilds ... now while i agree that they are not
8 > suitable for stable or unstable systems, and maybe too risky even for
9 > package.mask, it is a pita to emerge these suckers and then safely
10 > keep them on youur system ...
11
12 I don't see what KEYWORDS=-* does that package.mask doesn't? Just mark
13 the packages unstable, package.mask them, and throw in a comment in
14 package.mask saying "This will most likely completely break your
15 system".
16
17 Problem solved. Users don't get the package, and developers can easily
18 unmask it if needed. This certainly beats the screwing around you need
19 to do now to get these packages built.
22 > what i propose is that people who make ebuilds with KEYWORDS=-* add in
23 > an extra little word, namely 'pleasebreakme'. that is, from now on,
24 > have it read:
25 > KEYWORDS="-* pleasebreakme"
26
27 I don't see any reason for this. Isn't this the exact reason we have
28 package.mask?
31 Matt Rickard
32 frogger@g.o
35 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list