From: "Marcus D. Hanwell" <cryos@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] FHS compliant KDE install and multi-version support
Date: Sun, 07 Sep 2008 18:00:43
1 Dale wrote:
2 > Marcus D. Hanwell wrote:
3 >> Dale wrote:
4 >>> Philip Webb wrote:
5 >>>> 080907 Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto wrote:
6 >>>>
7 >>>>> ignoring FHS ... are not valid solutions to this problem.
8 >>>>>
9 >>>>
10 >>>> Why ? Who is demanding FHS compliance & for what reasons ?
11 >>>> Gentoo is not like other distros & sometimes needs to find its own
12 >>>> way.
13 >>>> Given the well-known problems with KDE 4.0 & (still) 4.1 ,
14 >>>> I'ld like to be able to have the option of multiple versions
15 >>>> available.
16 >>>>
17 >>>> I really do appreciate the hard volunteer work the KDE team donates
18 >>>> & have nothing but thanks to them all, but shouldn't your priority be
19 >>>> to get KDE 4.1 into 'testing', so that users can actually try it out ?
20 >>>> There's also 3.5.10 , which has been released, but isn't in Gentoo
21 >>>> yet.
22 >>>>
23 >>> As a lowly user, I would like to keep KDE 3.5.* for quite a while
24 >>> and will most likely not switch until at least 4.3 or better is
25 >>> out. Even that mostly depends on how many "issues" are still left
26 >>> out there.
27 >> The slotting of KDE 3.* and KDE 4.* was never a question - these will
28 >> always remain slottable. The question is whether we really need to
29 >> keep slotting of minor KDE versions in the new 4.* line, i.e. KDE 4.1
30 >> and 4.2 slotted on the same system. I think the benefits of an FHS
31 >> compliant, non-slottable (with other KDE 4 minor versions) install is
32 >> the best thing for our general user base.
33 >>
34 >> I also see how we can have slots outside of FHS for developers, power
35 >> users and the ones who just like to be different ;-) These can be
36 >> maintained in an overlay and use different slots than the ebuilds in
37 >> the main tree. It is no real issue to be able to run a slotted KDE
38 >> 4.2 install alongside an FHS install of KDE 4.* and so FHS installs
39 >> can be successfully slotted with other kdeprefix installs too.
40 >>
41 >> This helps to make the normal KDE install much simpler to maintain
42 >> with less gradual build up of cruft over the years (multiple older
43 >> slots the user is no longer using). It also brings us into line with
44 >> the FHS compliant Qt 4 ebuilds and other desktops such as Gnome. The
45 >> purpose of these posts was to solicit further feedback before things
46 >> are pushed to the main tree.
47 >>
48 >> Most other distributions install KDE into the main /usr hierarchy,
49 >> that is the way upstream intends KDE to be installed and I think it
50 >> will work well for most users. I do think Gentoo is about choice and
51 >> so having overlays with ebuilds in a different slot seems to be the
52 >> best solution we can offer given the constraint of slot invariance.
53 >
54 > To try to make my point clearer, if I can set a USE flag or some other
55 > config so that I can have both KDE 3.* and KDE 4.* installed at the
56 > same time and select which one to login into, I'm cool. That option
57 > doesn't have to be available forever but long enough for KDE to get
58 > some of the "kinks" worked out. I'm talking maybe 6 months to a year
59 > which will vary depending on the speed KDE gets things worked out and
60 > fixed?implemented.
61 Your point was perfectly clear and I thought I had been clear in that
62 option is present and will continue to be so for as long as KDE 3.5 is
63 in the tree. That could be years, depending mainly upon whether upstream
64 continues to provide security fixes in some form.
65 >
66 > I'm not hard to please by any means but I do like changes to not be a
67 > overnight thing. I'm to old for things to "soak in" in a rush.
68 > Thanks
69 I think we all know that most people will try KDE 4 whilst maintaining
70 their old KDE 3.5 desktop. I only use KDE 3.5 for testing things now but
71 still run quite a few KDE 3 apps in my KDE 4 desktop session. I hope
72 this reply makes it very clear that slotting of KDE 3.5 with with KDE 4
73 is not something that is going away. You will have at least two options
74 (KDE 3.5 or KDE 4), some people might prefer more (KDE 3.5, KDE 4.0, KDE
75 4.1, KDE 4.2, KDE 4.3...) but I think that is overkill for most (and
76 probably always was).
77
78 Thanks,
79